Best Time to Visit Rohtang pass
Himachal Pradesh is known for its hill stations, stunning green environment, and eye-catching scenic view. Rohtang Pass is one of the best tourist destinations here, which adds a feather to the Himachal’s tourism cap. "
By Admin -
Jan 09, 2020
Himachal Pradesh is known for its hill stations, stunning green environment, and eye-catching scenic view. Rohtang Pass is one of the best tourist destinations here, which adds a feather to the Himachal’s tourism cap. Linking with the Lahaul and Spiti valleys of Himachal Pradesh, Rohtang Pass is located 3.6k metres above the sea leve
. It remains as one of the highest pass located in the Pirpanjal Ranges of the Middle Himalayas. Rohtang Pass, despite being tourist destination, is not always opened for tourism visits. Let us know about the best time to visit the pass to enjoy its serene beauty.
- March to April: During these months, the snow cover will be extreme and the tourism department has halted the tourist visits during these months. Further, the Border Roads Organisation has reported damages caused by dense ice during these months making the travel very complicated.
- May month – During the first two weeks of May, the Pass is being closed due to the ineffectiveness of travel and the tourism department and the BRO would be undertaking activities to clear the road for tourists' transport. The arrival of tourists can be seen only during the midst of the May month. It would be open for all kinds of tourists starting from adventure tourists to nature lovers. But for adventure tourists who travel by their vehicles, there is a need for prior approval to ride into the pass.
- The month of June – As the land becomes warm due to the arrival of the loo and the temperature will be a bit higher, it is much more favourable for tourism in Rohtang Pass. All kinds of trekking activities to adventure biking to skiing are allowed. This is the month where a huge amount of tourist arrival can be seen in the Rohtang pass. But at the end of June, tourist arrival would be starting to decline due to the arrival of monsoons.
- July to August – During the monsoon season, mostly the pass would be closed for tourist visits due to the landslides and sudden avalanches in the pass area. As it is located in the link area between the two valleys, the Lahaul and Spiti Valleys; so it is more threatened to visit the pass during the July and August months.
- September to October – Geographically speaking, monsoons would be retreating during this time which acts as a favourable climate for visiting the Rohtang pass. The pass will be opened for most of the days during these months, as per Himachal Pradesh tourism census; the tourism revenue during these days will be more than that of June month.
- November to March – The Pass will be open up to the first two weeks of November and during the midst of the month, the pass will be closed due to heavy snowfall experienced due to the western disturbances and the arrival of the Mediterranean climate. Snowfall will be terrible during the months of January and the tourist destinations are closed and no tourists will be allowed during that time.
To summarize, Rohtang Pass is one of the admirable tourist destinations, but the best time to visit the location is in June, September, and October. Happy journey folks!